What do I want to achieve with my running this year? Despite injuries, I achieved most of what I wanted although there’s still plenty of room for improvement – especially in consistency. So, in no particular order, here goes!
- Sydney Summer Series – improving my map reading, route planning and distance I can cover. This year is still very much a year of working on myself, especially now Nick and I run separately so while we compare our planned routes, we do them slightly differently since Nick can go further than me in the 45 minute time limit.
- 3+ Rogaines: I think we will again only manage 3, but I’d like to do more. If I can remain injury free, I’d love to get up to 30km in a 6hr rogaine and hit half marathon distance in a 3hr event.
- Great NOSH Footrace: See if I can hit the <2hr time goal this year! The first part of the race is now my local long run trail, so see if that helps at all.
- Turkey Trot: Will try for sub 1hr 40min this year on the medium course.
- Manly Trail Series: Would love to get along to one of these and see what it is like.
Non-event specific goals:
- Increase my long run distance from 10km to 15km
- Continue focusing on increasing my cadence – easier to do on road runs than trails though!
- Explore the local trails and find some good regular routes.
- Consistency: 2-3 runs per week, every week
- Aim for 600km total distance for 2017
- NO overuse injuries this year!
Phew! I think that’s enough to keep me focused. I’m really enjoying the Rogaines and the orienteering events we’re doing, so want to focus more on trails and increasing my distance. I’m not as concerned with pace as it’s impacted so much by the quality of a trail and the elevation involved, t’s time on feet that will help me the most with the longer events.